Going on Holiday or a special event? Looking to delay your period? Our prescribers at Click2Pharmacy online clinic can help you find the right treatment. Complete our FREE consultation today.
Delaying your Period
For the majority of women, having a monthly period is just a normal part of life. However, at times it can feel like an inconvenience, and can bring particular challenges. There can be many reasons why you may want to delay your period, such as travelling abroad, or taking part in activities where your period can make things more difficult.
Norethisterone is pill which you can take to delay your period temporarily. This a prescription only medication that mimics the female hormone progesterone. It’s a good option if you are NOT using any oral form of contraception.
- You start the pills 3 days before you expect your period to start, and can take it up to 17 days
- You take one pill 3 times a day.
- Your period will start 3 days after you stop taking medication.
- You can delay you period for 17 days in total.
Please note: When norethisterone is used to delay your period, it does NOT act as a form of contraception. Alternative methods should be considered (such as condoms).
Who can take Norethisterone?
Norethisterone may be suitable if you are:
- aged 16 to 54
- can predict when your period is due
- you need to delay your period for a special event/occasion
- you are NOT on the contraceptive pill
- you are NOT pregnant
- you have NO abnormal bleeding
- you have NO history of angina or blood clots
Does Norethisterone have Side Effects?
For vast majority of women, norethisterone is a safe and effective option to delay their period. However, like any medication it can have side effects which include:
- Skin problems
- Increase risk of blood clots– this is particularly important if flying
Your pharmacist will explain in more detail about the side effects and check if you are suitable to take it. You should always read the patient information leaflet before starting any medication.
Combined Contraceptive Pill
If you are taking the combined pill, then you CANNOT use norethisterone to delay your period. The good news is that you can still delay your period by taking two packs of pills together without the 7-day break. Please ask the pharmacist for more information on how to do this.
Complete Click2Pharmacy’s Online consultation. One of our qualified prescribers will review it and if appropriate will issue a prescription. This will be dispensed and delivered direct to your home.
UK Registered Pharmacy
Regulated & Secure
Free UK Deliveries
On Orders Over £40
Best Value Online