How to Lose Weight
Losing weight can be one of the biggest challenges in life. It may sound simple, but eating less and moving more is really the key to answering the question how to lose weight. Although there are many ways in which you can do this, it can be an uphill struggle for many people. With so many diets and exercise regimes out there, you may feel confused and overwhelmed. Here are some tips and advice on how to get started…
Benefits of Losing Weight
Some people may want to lose weight to improve their appearance, or for personal reasons. In today’s world, personal image is more important than ever, with social media having a huge impact on this. For others, the benefit of losing weight may just be a part of their journey towards improving their fitness,
But for most people, improvement in health will be one of the biggest reasons for losing weight. If you are above the normal weight for your height (with a body mass index (BMI) of 25 and over), then losing weight can have many health advantages such as:
- Lowering your risk of type 2 diabetes,
- Lowering risk of heart disease and stroke
- Lowering risk of some cancers.
- Reduction in raised blood pressure
- Reduced cholesterol levels
You may even notice an improvement in your mood and energy levels! An added bonus may be that you fit into clothes better, which is a great confidence booster.
“You need to see this as a lifestyle change to becoming healthier, not a short fix”
How Much Weight Do I Need to Lose?
The overall amount of weight you need to lose all depends on your starting weight, and how much you are above the normal range (click here for BMI calculator). A loss of 5 to 10% of your total body weight can produce health benefits. For example, if you weight 90kg, then a 9kg loss would bring your weight down to 81kg. Although it’s natural to want to lose weight quickly, health professionals recommend a modest weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week, which is sustainable over a longer period of time.
5 Steps to Lose Weight
These 5 steps can help you lose weight successfully:
- Make a vow to lose weight.: You need to see this as a lifestyle change to becoming healthier, not a short fix. Writing down how much weight you want to lose and the reasons why may be helpful.
- See a healthcare professional: Your local GP surgery will provide services and information on weight loss. They can assess how much weight you may need to lose, and evaluate any risk factors you may have. Other things they can help you with are a healthy eating plan and exercise routines. There are also weight loss groups you can join.
- Assess your lifestyle: It’s important to look at your day-to-day routine, and identify any changes you may need to make. For example, if you buy lots of sugary foods, then you need to reduce these and look at healthier alternatives. You will also need to consider how physically active you are (do you work at a desk and heavily rely on a car to get around?) Introducing things like gardening or taking the stairs instead of the lift can help you increase your physical activity without even feeling like you are exercising, There are many fitness watches on the market that measure the number of steps you take, and your heart rate which can be useful whilst exercising.
- Set your goals: Once you decide on how much weight you want to lose, you can set some short-term and long-term goals. These will need to be both specific and realistic. For example, if you are new to exercise, you may want to introduce 30-minute brisk walks, 5 times a week for the first two weeks. Reward yourself if you achieve your short-term goals- remember you don’t have to do this with food, you can buy a new outfit, have an outing in the park with friends, or a nice relaxing bath.
- Monitor your progress: When you have an eating plan, and have decided how you are going to exercise, it is important to track your progress regularly. A food diary can help you monitor what you are eating, and there are many apps out there that can calculate the number of calories, fat, carbohydrate and protein that is in your food. You also need to weight yourself no more than once a week, and record your weight on a chart. Evaluating your progress is also important, if some things are not working for you then you many need to change your goals and plan.
Products to Lose Weight
Yes, there are products to Lose weight that can help you achieve your goals, but they should still be used alongside a healthy diet and regular exercise.
At Click2Pharmacy, Our Clinicians can prescribe effective treatment to help you lose weight in our online clinic. We offer the following weight loss products: Xenical, Orlistat and Weight Loss Injections | Saxenda
Remember, there is no quick fix for healthy weight loss. You need to see it as an ongoing lifestyle change, introducing good eating habits and exercises that you enjoy, rather than a strict diet.
Weight loss can be hard, with setbacks being a part of process. It’s easy to feel disheartened or want to give up altogether. Just revisit your goals and if required make changes to your weight loss plan.
Once you have achieved your goals and lost all the excess weight, then the next challenge will be to maintain this. You will need to carry on with your healthy eating habits, and be careful not to consume excessive calories. People that maintain their weight loss also carry out 60 to 90 minutes of moderate physical activity in a week.