Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is a condition in which women experience a change in their vaginal discharge, due to an overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina. It is quite common, and it is thought around a third of women will experience BV in their lives. Here at Click2Pharmacy, we have various products that can successfully help you treat bacterial vaginosis.
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
What is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is a condition in which women experience a change in their vaginal discharge, due to an overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina. It is quite common, and it is thought around a third of women will experience BV in their lives.
Bacterial vaginosis Symptoms
The most common symptoms of bacterial vaginosis are:
- Vaginal discharge that is grey in colour
- Vaginal discharge that is thin and watery
- A strong, fishy smell
Around half of women experience no symptoms at all. BV is not harmful, and is NOT a sexually transmitted infection (STI). It is not clear what causes the change in vaginal discharge, but it is thought that being sexually active, having the IUD contraceptive, using strong scented soaps and vaginal products can disrupt the balance of bacteria in the vagina.
Although bacterial vaginosis is not an STI, it can be passed between female sexual partners.
How to diagnose?
Symptoms of BV can seem similar to thrush, although in thrush discharge is thick as opposed to thin and watery, and the smell is yeasty and not fishy. If you have never had BV and are unsure of your symptoms, you can see your GP or go to a sexual health clinic. A swab from your vagina can be taken and tested, which can also rule out any STIs.
If you are pregnant, then you should contact your GP or midwife, as there is small risk that BV can cause complications in pregnancy.
At Click2Pharmacy, we offer a prescription based treatments, where our advance prescribers can guide you with which medicines may work best for you.
Treating bacterial vagiosis
BV is normally treated with antibiotics. In some people, BV can be reoccurring, and this may mean you need treatment for a longer period of time. It is also worth taking steps to prevent bacterial vaginosis, especially if you are more susceptible to it. This can include:
- Taking showers instead of baths
- Not using strong scented products around your vagina
- Using mild detergents to wash your underwear
- No vaginal douching
If you feel you have bacterial vaginosis for the first time, or you have had it before, you can speak to a member of our team at Click2Pharmacy, who can advise you on testing and treatment options.
At Click2Pharmacy we now offer self-test kit for bacterial vaginosis, called Canestest.
- A home swab test kit that works by measuring pH levels in the vagina
- Can detect thrush and bacterial vaginosis, so you know which one you may have
- Over 90% accuracy
- Offers privacy and convenience for those wanting to test at home
We also offer a choice of either antibiotic tablets (metronidazole), or vaginal gels.
Metronidazole 400mg tablets (prescription only)
- Take one tablet twice a day for 7 days
- Take with or after food
- Works quickly and effectively
Balance Activ Vaginal Gel (non-prescription)
- Use one tube daily for 7 consecutive days
- Can be used by children aged 12 and over
- Eases symptoms of bacterial vaginosis by restoring the balance of the pH in the vagina
- Can prevent symptoms from reoccurring
- Can be used alongside antibiotics
Zidoval Vaginal Gel (40g) (prescription only)
- Gel containing metronidazole- kills the bacteria inside the vagina
- Single 5g dose is inserted into the vagina, over 5 consecutive days
- Can only be prescribed to women over the age of 18 and under 65 years
Our team of pharmacists are fully trained to assess your symptoms, and offer the best possible course of action. They are also able to prescribe medication should you require it. For more information, please contact a member of our team.
Further information can be found here:
UK Registered Pharmacy
Regulated & Secure
Free UK Deliveries
On Orders Over £40
Best Value Online