|Treating eczema or dermatitis
|Patient Information Leaflet
|Click here for patient information leaflet
What is Hydrocortisone?
Hydrocortisone is a type of medicine that comes in the form of a cream. It is a corticosteroid that is used to reduce inflammation and relieve itching and redness associated with skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis.
What is Hydrocortisone used for?
Hydrocortisone is primarily used to treat eczema and dermatitis. It works by reducing the actions of chemicals in the body that cause inflammation, redness, and swelling. In some cases, it may also be used to treat other skin conditions as determined by a doctor or pharmacist.
How does Hydrocortisone work?
Hydrocortisone works by inhibiting the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation. It also suppresses the body’s immune response, which helps to reduce redness, itching, and swelling associated with eczema and dermatitis.
Who is Hydrocortisone suitable for?
Hydrocortisone is suitable for adults and children over the age of 10 who are suffering from eczema or dermatitis. It may not be suitable for individuals who are allergic to any of the ingredients in the cream or those with certain skin conditions. It is important to consult a doctor or pharmacist before using Hydrocortisone.
How to use Hydrocortisone
- Wash and dry the affected area before applying a thin layer of the cream
- Gently rub the cream into the skin until it is fully absorbed
- Wash your hands after applying the cream, unless your hands are the treated area
Hydrocortisone should be applied to the affected area once or twice a day, as directed by a doctor or pharmacist. It is important to use the cream for the full course of treatment, even if the symptoms improve before the treatment is complete.
Buy Hydrocortisone online from a UK pharmacy
You can buy Hydrocortisone online from our online eczema & dermatitis treatment clinic by completing a free consultation. Once reviewed by a licensed pharmacist, your prescription will be issued and your medication delivered in discrete packaging.
Hydrocortisone Side Effects
Hydrocortisone may cause some side effects. It is important to be aware of the potential side effects before using this medication.
Common Side Effects
- Burning or stinging sensation at the application site
- Itching or irritation of the skin
- Dryness or redness of the skin
Uncommon Side Effects
- Thinning of the skin
- Changes in skin color
- Acne or excessive hair growth
Serious Side Effects
- Allergic reactions such as rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, or trouble breathing
- Severe skin irritation or burning sensation
- Blurred vision or other vision changes
For a full list of side effects, please refer to the patient information leaflet.
Active Ingredients: Hydrocortisone acetate
Other ingredients: Liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin, cetostearyl alcohol, macrogol cetostearyl ether, chlorocresol, sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, phosphoric acid, and purified water.
- Do not use Hydrocortisone if you are allergic to hydrocortisone acetate or any of the other ingredients in the cream
- Avoid using Hydrocortisone on broken or infected skin, unless directed by a doctor or pharmacist
- Avoid getting the cream in your eyes, mouth, or nose. If accidental contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water
- Do not cover the treated area with airtight dressings or bandages unless directed by a doctor or pharmacist
- Consult a doctor or pharmacist before using Hydrocortisone if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any other medical conditions