What is Aciclovir 5% Cream?
Aciclovir 5% Cream is a topical antiviral medication used to treat cold sores caused by the herpes simplex virus. It is an over-the-counter medication that can be applied directly to the affected area of the skin.
What is Aciclovir 5% Cream used for?
Aciclovir 5% Cream is primarily used to treat cold sores, which are small, painful, fluid-filled blisters that usually appear on or around the lips. The cream helps to speed up the healing process and reduce the severity of symptoms such as pain, itching, and burning.
It may also be used to treat other skin conditions caused by the herpes simplex virus, as determined by a doctor or pharmacist.
How does Aciclovir 5% Cream work?
Aciclovir, the active ingredient in the cream, works by preventing the herpes virus from multiplying. It does this by interfering with the DNA synthesis of the virus, ultimately stopping its replication and spread. This helps to reduce the severity and duration of cold sore symptoms.
Who is Aciclovir 5% Cream suitable for?
Aciclovir 5% Cream is suitable for adults and children over the age of 12. It is not recommended for use in children under 12 years old without medical advice. It is also not suitable for use in the eyes or inside the mouth.
How to apply Aciclovir 5% Cream
When applying Aciclovir 5% Cream, it is important to follow these steps:
- Wash your hands before and after applying the cream.
- Apply a small amount of cream to the affected area, making sure to cover the entire area of the cold sore.
- Gently rub the cream into the skin until it disappears.
- Wash your hands again to avoid spreading the virus to other parts of the body or to other people.
It is recommended to apply the cream five times a day, approximately every four hours, for a period of five days. If the cold sore has not healed after this time, further treatment may be necessary, and you should consult a doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Aciclovir 5% Cream Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Aciclovir 5% w/w
Other ingredients: Propylene glycol, cetostearyl alcohol, liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin, poloxamer 407, sodium laurilsulfate, dimeticone, macrogol stearate, macrogol cetostearyl ether, purified water
Before using Aciclovir 5% Cream, it is important to be aware of the following warnings and precautions:
- Avoid applying the cream to the inside of the mouth, eyes, or genitals.
- Do not use the cream if you are allergic to aciclovir, valaciclovir, propylene glycol, cetostearyl alcohol, or any of the other ingredients listed.
- Consult a doctor or pharmacist before using the cream if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a weakened immune system.
- Avoid close physical contact with others, especially newborns, infants, and pregnant women, while you have a cold sore.
- If you accidentally swallow the cream, seek medical advice immediately.
For more detailed information about Aciclovir 5% Cream, you can refer to the patient information leaflet here.