About Aldara Cream
|Treating genital warts
|Patient Information Leaflet
|Click here for the patient information leaflet
What is Aldara Cream?
Aldara Cream is a topical medication that contains the active ingredient imiquimod. It is used to treat genital warts, which are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). The cream works by stimulating the body’s immune response, leading to the destruction of the warts.
What is Aldara Cream used for?
Aldara Cream is primarily used for the treatment of genital warts. It is also sometimes prescribed for the treatment of certain skin cancers, such as superficial basal cell carcinoma.
How does Aldara Cream work?
Aldara Cream works by activating the body’s immune system to produce interferon, a substance that helps the body fight viruses. This immune response helps to eliminate the HPV virus, which in turn leads to the clearance of genital warts.
Who is Aldara Cream suitable for?
Aldara Cream is suitable for adults and children over the age of 12. It is not suitable for use in children under 12 years of age. It should not be used by individuals who are allergic to any of the ingredients in the cream.
How to apply Aldara Cream
To apply Aldara Cream:
- Wash your hands and the treatment area with mild soap and water.
- Dry the area thoroughly.
- Apply a thin layer of the cream to the affected area before bedtime and rub it in gently.
- Leave the cream on the skin for 6-10 hours, then wash the area with mild soap and water.
Aldara Cream should be applied 3 times per week, for example, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The duration of treatment may vary, but it is usually applied for up to 16 weeks.
Buy Aldara Cream online from a UK pharmacy
You can buy Aldara Cream online from our online genital warts treatment clinic by completing a free consultation. Once reviewed by a licensed pharmacist, your prescription will be issued, and your medication delivered in discrete packaging.
Aldara Cream Side Effects
Common Side Effects
- Mild skin reactions such as redness, itching, or flaking
- Flu-like symptoms
Uncommon Side Effects
- Blisters or ulcers at the application site
- Swelling of the face, lips, or throat
- Severe skin reactions
Serious Side Effects
- Allergic reactions such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face
- Severe skin reactions
- Flu-like symptoms that persist or worsen
For a full list of side effects, please refer to the patient information leaflet.
Aldara Cream Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Each gram of Aldara Cream contains 5% imiquimod as the active ingredient.
Other ingredients: The cream also contains isostearic acid, benzyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, white petrolatum, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, glycerin, xanthan gum, purified water, and methylparaben.
– Aldara Cream is for external use only.
– Avoid contact with the eyes, lips, and nostrils.
– Do not use the cream on open wounds or broken skin.
– If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your doctor before using Aldara Cream.
– Do not use the cream if you are immunocompromised or have a weakened immune system.
– If you experience severe skin reactions or allergic symptoms, discontinue use and seek medical advice immediately.