Pantoprazole Gastro Resistant Tablets (20mg & 40mg)
£16.99 – £21.99
Complete assessment to buy online.Continue to assessment
- Effective relief from acid reflux, heartburn, and indigestion.
- Suitable for adults and children over 12
- Long-acting with once-daily dosing for consistent control.
- Available over the counter in a 20mg dose and by prescription in higher doses.
Having trouble? Send us a message on WhatsApp!Message us on Whatsapp
Pantoprazole Gastro Resistant Tablets for Acid Reflux
About Pantoprazole Gastro Resistant Tablets
Pantoprazole 20mg is a medication known as a Proton Pump Inhibitor, or PPI for short. It’s designed to reduce the amount of acid your stomach makes, which helps effectively manage and treat acid-related stomach and oesophagus issues. In the UK, Pantoprazole 20mg and 40mg can be obtained with a prescription from your GP or pharmacist.
|Classification||Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI)|
|Uses||Treats acid reflux, GORD, stomach ulcers, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome|
|Suitable for||Adults and children over 12|
|How it works||Pantoprazole prevents proton pumps in the stomach from functioning properly. These proton pumps are enzymes found in the lining of the stomach which contribute to the production of acid, thereby resulting in digestion.|
|Side effects||Benign polyps in the stomach, headache, dizziness, diarrhoea|
|Availability||Over-the-counter (20mg) and by prescription (40mg)|
What is Pantoprazole used for?
Pantoprazole is used to treat several conditions that are caused by too much acid being produced in the stomach. It’s effective for easing symptoms and prescribed for conditions like:
- Heartburn: This common discomfort is often felt as a burning sensation in the chest or throat. Pantoprazole helps by reducing the amount of acid that might travel up from your stomach into your oesophagus, providing relief from this burning feeling.
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD): In this chronic condition, stomach acid frequently flows back into the tube connecting your mouth and stomach (oesophagus). This backwash (acid reflux) can irritate the lining of your oesophagus. Pantoprazole works to decrease the stomach acid that can worsen this condition.
- Stomach ulcers: These are sores that form on the lining of your stomach, lower oesophagus, or small intestine. They occur when the thick layer of mucus that protects your stomach from digestive juices is reduced, allowing the digestive acids to eat away at the lining tissues. Pantoprazole is used to treat these ulcers and prevent them from forming by controlling the production of stomach acid.
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome: This is a rare condition in which one or more tumours form in your pancreas or the upper part of your small intestine. These tumours can cause your stomach to produce large amounts of acid, leading to peptic ulcers. Pantoprazole helps by significantly reducing stomach acid production.
Who is Pantoprazole suitable for?
Pantoprazole is suitable for adults and children over the age of 12 years. It’s important for patients to consult with their GP or pharmacist before starting pantoprazole, especially if they:
- Have had an allergic reaction to Pantoprazole or any other medicine in the past.
- Have liver problems, as they may need a different dose or a different medicine altogether.
- Are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.
- Are due to have an endoscopy. Pantoprazole can hide problems that would usually be spotted during this procedure, so it’s often recommended to stop taking it a few weeks before.
It’s also not suitable for people who are taking certain medications that could interact with Pantoprazole, so it’s always best to check with a healthcare professional.
How does Pantoprazole work?
Pantoprazole is part of a group of medicines called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), which work by reducing the amount of acid your stomach makes. Pantoprazole does this by blocking the action of the proton pumps in your stomach lining, where these pumps are the final step for acid production in the stomach. By blocking them, Pantoprazole reduces the acidity in the stomach and helps to relieve the symptoms of heartburn and other acid-related problems.
How to take Pantoprazole tablets
You should take Pantoprazole gastro resistant tablets as follows:
- Dosage: The usual dose is one tablet a day. It’s best to take the tablet in the morning, before a meal. If you need to take a second dose, take it before your evening meal.
- Swallowing: Swallow tablets whole with water. Do not crush or chew them. This is because the tablets have a special coating to protect your stomach from the medicine.
- Missed dose: If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it’s almost time for your next dose, skip the missed one. Do not take a double dose to make up for a forgotten tablet.
- Duration: Follow your GP or pharmacist’s advice on how long to take Pantoprazole. It may be a few weeks or longer, depending on what you’re being treated for.
- Stopping: If you want to stop taking Pantoprazole, talk to your GP or pharmacist first, especially if you’ve been on it for a long time. Stopping suddenly can cause problems.
Pantoprazole side effects
Like all medicines, Pantoprazole gastro resistant tablets can cause side effects, although not everyone gets them:
- Benign polyps in the stomach.
- Feeling sick, vomiting
- Bloating and flatulence
- Dry mouth
- Abdominal pain and discomfort
- Skin rash, exanthema, eruption
- Feeling weak, exhausted or generally unwell
- Disturbances in vision, such as blurred vision
- Pain in the joints
- Muscle pains
- Weight changes
- Raised body temperature
- High fever
- Allergic reactions
- Breast enlargement in males
If you experience any allergic reactions or skin conditions, stop taking Pantoprazole immediately and contact 999. Inform your GP or pharmacist of these reactions.
You can find a full list of side effects in the Pantoprazole Patient Information Leaflet.
Long-term side effects of taking Pantoprazole
Pantoprazole is generally only prescribed for short-term use. However, sometimes your doctor or healthcare adviser may recommend that you take it for a longer period of time, in some cases, this can be months or years. Despite the widespread use and excellent safety profile of Pantoprazole 20mg, there are concerns about the long-term effects of proton pump inhibitors. These concerns include potential adverse effects like hypergastrinemia, the development of pneumonia, and drug interactions. The NHS advises that it should be used under medical guidance for the most effective and safest long-term treatment.
Recent studies have also suggested that long-term use of PPIs, like Pantoprazole, may be linked to an increased risk of dementia.
If you are unsure about the need for long-term use of Pantoprazole and are concerned about side effects, you should speak with your GP or pharmacist.
Active ingredient: Pantoprazole (as sodium sesquihydrate)
Inactive ingredients: Sodium carbonate (anhydrous), Mannitol, Crospovidone, Povidone K90, Calcium stearate, Hypromellose, Povidone K25, Titanium dioxide (E171), Yellow iron oxide (E172), Propylene glycol, Methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer (1:1), Polysorbate 80, Sodium lauryl sulfate, Triethyl citrate, Shellac, Red iron oxide (E172), Black iron oxide (E172), Ammonia solution.
Alternatives to Pantoprazole
If Pantoprazole isn’t right for you, there are other Proton Pump Inhibitors you can try for acid reflux, heartburn, and indigestion. Click2Pharmacy offers alternatives like Lansoprazole, Esomeprazole, and Omeprazole. You can buy them online following a consultation with one of our pharmacists.
Buy Pantoprazole Online from Click2Pharmacy
Pantoprazole is a reliable choice for managing conditions such as acid reflux and indigestion. You can purchase Pantoprazole through Click2Pharmacy by completing our online consultation form, where our licensed pharmacists will review your information. At Click2Pharmacy, our UK-regulated pharmacy features a specialised acid reflux clinic designed to assist you in selecting the appropriate treatment with complete privacy and competitive online prices. Fill out our online assessment now to buy Pantoprazole online today.
Pantoprazole Gastro Resistant Tablets FAQs
It’s best to take your Pantoprazole tablet about an hour before you eat. This timing helps the medication work effectively when your stomach starts to produce acid for digestion. Most people take their dose in the morning, but if you’re advised to take it twice a day, the second dose should be taken before the evening meal.
Pantoprazole acts by blocking a specific system in the stomach cells called proton pumps, which are responsible for secreting stomach acid. By inhibiting these pumps, Pantoprazole reduces the overall acid levels in the stomach, providing relief from acid reflux symptoms and helping to heal ulcers.
Pantoprazole, at a lower dose of 20mg, is available without a prescription for managing short-term reflux symptoms like heartburn. If you require a higher dose or need to use it for a longer period, book a consultation with Click2Pharmacy, where our pharmacists can determine if a prescription is right for you.
The relief from symptoms can be felt as quickly as within a few days of starting Pantoprazole. However, for the medication to have its full effect, especially for conditions like GORD, it may take up to four weeks. If you don’t feel better after this time, it’s important to consult your GP or pharmacist.
The duration of treatment with Pantoprazole can vary. For short-term problems, such as mild heartburn or reflux, you might only need to take it for a couple of weeks. For chronic conditions, your GP or pharmacist might recommend a longer treatment period. Always follow the guidance of your prescriber regarding the duration of use.
We are regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council
We offer a variety of delivery options including Next day delivery. Spend over £70 for FREE delivery.
UK PHARMACY & CLINIC
Our pharmacy, clinic & prescribers are based in Greater Manchester.